Karnataka Administrative Service (KAS) is the civil service of Karnataka state. The Karnataka Public Service Commission conducts exams to recruit candidates for the service.
The KPSC (Karnataka Public Service Commission) , established in 1951 under the provisions of the Constitution, recruits candidates to the various civil services across the state. The selection is done on the basis of marks scored by candidates in the commission's examination ( preliminary and main) and personality test.
For some services in the state, the commission only conducts written competitive examination or takes a personality test of the candidate. For an effective administration of the Government, it is the policy of the Government to recruit dynamic youngsters in the administration of the State. For this purpose Gazetted probationers Rules of 1966 has been introduced.
It is provided in the Rules that the Commission should invite applications from the eligible candidates for recruitment to the posts coming under Group I & II Civil Service posts. Up to 1997, these examinations were conducted at a single stage followed by Personality Test. In the year 1997 this procedure was given up and the rules were amended on the lines of Civil Service examinations conducted by the U.P.S.C.
Preliminary Examination Syllabus:
- Current events of National & International importance.
- Humanities – History of India – Emphasis shall be on the broad general understanding of the subject in its social, economic, cultural and political aspects with a focus on Indian national movement with special emphasis on Karnataka State.
- World Geography and Geography of India with a focus on the Karnataka.
- Indian Polity and economy, including the country's political system, rural development, planning and economic reforms in India-sustainable development, poverty alleviation, demographics, social sector initiatives etc., related to India.
- Current events of State importance and the important State Government programs.
- General Science & Technology, Environment & Ecology – contemporary developments in science and technology, and their implications including the matters of everyday observations and experience, as may be expected of a well-educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific discipline, general issues on Health, environmental ecology, biodiversity, and climate change- that do not require subject specialization.
- General Mental Ability includes Comprehension, Logical reasoning and Analytical ability, Decision-making, problem-solving, Basic innumeracy (numbers and their relations, the order of magnitude etc.,) and data interpretation ( charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc., (class X / SSLC level).
Mains Examination Syllabus
General Studies I
- Modern History of India and Indian Culture with special reference to the History and Culture of Karnataka
- Current events of State, National, and International importance
- Statistical Analysis, Graphs, and Diagrams.
General Studies – II
- Indian Polity with special reference to the state of Karnataka.
- Indian Economy and Geography of India with Special reference to Karnataka Economy and Karnataka Geography
- The role and the impact of Science and Technology in the development of Karnataka and India.
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences and Fisheries
- Civil Engineering
- Agriculture, Agricultural Marketing Co-operation, and Sericulture
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science & International Relations
- Public Administration
- Rural Development & Co-operation